RE: what is Hex?

  • From: "Sina Bahram" <sbahram@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 16:03:43 -0500

21, but yes he is, Thanks Chris

Take care,
Sina

-----Original Message-----
From: programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Marlon Brandão
de Sousa
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2008 12:12 PM
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: what is Hex?

Are you serious about Sina being 22 years old only? Man I have seen people
who have studied computers for many more than this quantity of years and
don't seen to know a half of what Sina knows easily ...
Marlon

2008/2/15, Chris Hofstader <chris.hofstader@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> God Sina, you bring back memories of Z80 and needing to "poke"
> instructions and data into memory before execution.  I would have
> thought you, who was born in 1986 would never had to get to that
> level.  Personally, I think it's a really valuable exercise even if
> one never actually needs to use it in a "real" program just to get a
better understanding of what a processor "sees"
> and how base 16 numbers can be turned into both instructions and data
> depending upon how the processor looks at them.
>
> In the network edition of "Bank Street Writer" a word processing
> program written entirely in assembly, that was pretty popular in the
> years before you learned to talk, I added a function called,
> "DON'T_CALL_THIS."  If you did call it the program would crash as the
> instructions looked random.  If, however, you looked at the last
> handful of bytes of the program as ASCII, it read "FSMITHISAWORM."
> Frank Smith, a really great guy, was the client on the gig and we
> decided to immortalize him in an Easter Egg that only an ubergeek could
find.

> Now, just for shits and giggles, try to reconstruct the function in
> 80x86 assembly and receive the truly wasted chunk of time award.
>
> cdh

When you say "I wrote a program that crashed Windows," people just stare at
you blankly and say "Hey, I got those with the system, for free."
Linus Torvalds