Re: unix question

  • From: Kerneels Roos <kerneels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 12:59:04 +0200

Hi,

Once you've found the best working command, you can put it in a bash script
and create an entry in the cron tab (see "man cron") so that the command
will automatically be executed periodically.

For a simple command it might be possible to simply write the command
directly in the cron tab -- not sure though -- eliminating the need for a
script.

Yes, *nix is the best.

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 3:32 AM, Jim Bauer <holdsworthfan@xxxxxx> wrote:

> See `man find' on your system for the specific syntax. That said, to find
> and remove all files in the current directory older than 30 days
> non-recursively, you should generally be able to say:
> $ find * -prune -mtime +30 -delete
>
> (The `$' is your shell prompt and shouldn't be typed.) In addition to the
> Find manpage, you could also Google for shell scripts that do this.
> HTH
>
> On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 15:35:53 -0700, Lafond, Eileen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am a unix novice and I need to write some unix to delete all the files
> in a directory that are older than 30 days.  Can someone help me compose
> this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Eileen La Fond
> > Phone: (206) 386-0011
> > email: eileen.lafond@xxxxxxxxxxx

Kerneels Roos
Cell/SMS: +27 (0)82 309 1998
Skype: cornelis.roos

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!