Re: unix question

  • From: Øyvind Lode <oyvind.lode@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 20:40:04 +0200

The below command should delete all files older than 30 days:

find mydir '/home/faserv/lafonde' -type f -mtime +30 -exec rm -f '{}' \;

On 05.10.2010 19:32, Lafond, Eileen wrote:
I guess that the type of Unix that we have is as follows:

Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.10      Generic January 2005

I consider myself a novice, but I write crontabs, cron jobs, sql and bat files.
 My problem is with the actual unix itself as with all the slashes, brackets,
etc.

I am starting off with a find command to see if I can find the correct files.
Then I want to do the rm command.  I have attempted the man pages in the past
to no avail.  I find them very confusing.  I do better with actual samples.

Right now I have a question on the find command that I put together somehow and
it works if I don't have the 'type f' filled in.  I thought that that meant the
type of file.  I am looking for all the *.lst files, but I get error messages
on this.  Otherwise this seems to work to find the files for me.

find mydir '/home/faserv/lafonde' -type f 'lst' -mtime +30 -exec ls -ld {} \;

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Eileen La fond
Work phone: (206) 386-0011