Re: programming schools

  • From: "Christy Schulte" <christy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 09:27:24 -0500

Figured I'd post here in case this is of interest to any others.

Kaplan is an accredited university with similar requirements as any other, notable exceptions being they don't offer/require foreign language and some of the other stuff that some schools do. but they have two year and four year degrees, I chose a four year degree in Information Technology with a programming emphasis. they also have things like networking, software development and so forth. At this point I've taken some IT classes, but I've just now finished my fourth term so a lot of it is still introductory classes both in IT and stuff like college composition. They run on a schedule of ten weeks per term with one week in between each, so a four year degree actually finishes in more like three and a half. there's no summer break, but there is a two week break around Christmas and New years time.

As far as accessibility. It's completely online, except that they do send physical textbooks in most cases. These can of course be scanned, but I've also found that once you get through the paperwork of signing up with their disability services department, they are very good about getting books in electronic format where possible. It took me a long time to get oficial with them because I don't have ready sighted assistance to help me actually sign the paperwork, but I finally got that done a couple weeks back. The same day I got that in and my textbook request form, they got busy requesting my book for next term in my database management class. I got the CD within three weeks, shipped overnight once they actually got it from the publisher. there is also often reading to do on various websites which the vast majority of the time is no problem at all.

The class format is very accessible for the most part. There are a few things to do every week. Readings from either the book or online or both, which are posted on the class website. A discussion board, which is required, works sort of like a forum but it's incorporated into the main class site and is very much workable. Some weeks have projects, which in most cases are required to be done in Word format and then you just upload them to the site. and then there are what they call the flexible learning activities. this can be either a seminar, or a quiz. The seminars are, moderately accessible. they use a flash program for the chat, so you have to keep cursoring around to read what people are saying since it won't read automatically. Also the fields aren't labeled, I found out by experimenting that the last edit field is where you type to say something. And sometimes they'll put things on the whiteboard which is not accessible at all. That said, I've been able to work with it, and I just explain to my instructor and class in the beginning that there may be times I'm not able to respond if I can't access what they're referring to. I really wish it could be scripted and I knew how though... Heh. You can also take a quiz in place of the seminar.

Let's see, what else. the tests and quizzes are very easy, using standard form fields and with very adequate time limits (Twenty minutes for ten question quizzes, two hours for 50-100 question exams). Even with that, the disability office made it a point to ask if I would need extended time for tests. I chose to decline that at least for now, but it let me know that they could provide that if necessary.

Most times, since projects are to be submitted in word, I've had no problem. Two exceptions to this were my web development class and the intro to programming course I'm just now finishing. In web development, one of the projects required a diagram of a website layout. I asked my instructor if I could submit this in an outline form instead, and he refused saying a diagram was required. I was rather annoyed, but found a friend willing to help me do it. Good did come out of this though, as my instructor apparently spoke to his supervisor, who is a huge, huge advocate for accessibility. she told him he should have accepted an outline, and also made it a point to get in touch with me and she's been a great resource ever since. For my intro to programming class, all of the projects require a flow chart to be submitted using Visio. Seeing this, I immediately contacted the instructor asking permission to instead submit them using pseudocode. She agreed, and I've had absolutely no issues with that class at all.

I still have no clue how I'm going to deal with the math classes that are required, there are two. I've been putting it off but will have to do them eventually. but so far, I've very much enjoyed it. This is maybe more info than you wanted, but there it is.

Christy

Freebie Force, a great resource for finding free stuff and even making cash.
http://faylen.nocashever.com
Or email me for more info.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ryan McManomy" <kb9ram@xxxxxxxxx>