mysql upgrade fails to work

  • From: "jaffar" <jaffar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 22:29:02 +0800

Hi All. Need some advise from you mysql experts. I just tried to upgrade my mysql to the most recent version. The older version worked just fine, but after the upgrade, i couldn't connect to mysql via the command prompt. I get an access denied message. I tried changing my password, retaining root as user, but to no avail. In fact, the message i got from the failed connection attempt was, access denied to ODBC@localhost using password no when i have explicitly set root as super user with no password. So i created a new password for superuser root, which is myself. When i issued the command "mysql -u root, -p myPassword, i got a prompt to enter my changed password, but upon entering it, i get a message, no such database, myPassword. However, and this is the strange thing, I am able to connect to mysql through php via phpmyadmin. I have created all the environment variables necessary. And one more thing, when i tried to telnet to port 3306, i get the message, couldn't telnet to port3306 using port 23, connection failed. Now, i am wondering if during the uninstallation process of the older mysql software, something was left behind blocking the connection port or some such. I even tried to trace the registry to check if any fragment of the older mysql was left behind, but to no avail. Sorry for the rant, but i am really stuck here and need help which the mysql documentation could not give. Cheers and thanks.