Re: again a newbee question

  • From: Dave <davidct1209@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 12:57:44 -0700

I don't disagree with anything you said here.  I think using exit or
any other raw sys calls needs a requisite amount of operating system
knowledge that an intro to CS student certainly would not have.  I've
also not have had any occasion to use it in my years of programming
except when writing low-level programs on a mock virtual operating
system written in java (C compiled into coff binaries).

Anyways, whether one subscribes to COM's model of addref/release, or
C's malloc/free, C++'s new/delete, or whatever scheme you have for
lifetime management, it's not a topic appropriate for someone writing
their first program (as I think the op was).