RE: a virtual math tv program sort of challenge

  • From: "Sina Bahram" <sbahram@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 15:11:21 -0400

This only applies to integers, but to clarrify, this passage might help.

The even numbers form an ideal in the ring of integers, but the odd numbers
do not - this is clear from the fact that the identity element for addition,
zero, is an element of the even numbers only. An integer is even if it is
congruent to 0 modulo this ideal, in other words if it is congruent to 0
modulo 2, and odd if it is congruent to 1 modulo 2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Even_and_odd_numbers

Take care,
Sina