Re: Windows 7 explorer

  • From: Haden Pike <haden.pike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 21:01:28 -0500

Never had that happen. I'm not sure what to do. There are some windows 7 podcasts at http://www.blind-geek-zone.net. Maybe they'll have an answer to this.

Haden

On 1/10/2010 8:52 PM, Alex Hall wrote:
I am using jaws11, though; I downloaded and authorized it today from
the fs website, so it is definitely the latest one. Now, it almost
always starts repeating seemingly random desktop icons and bits of
titles of open or minimized windows. I am not sure why it does this,
and it seems to be when I close or minimize something, but it is
getting quite annoying!

On 1/10/10, Haden Pike<haden.pike@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
If you're running jaws 10, you will have problems like this know matter
what. Using the left/right arrows in windows explorer with jaws 11 does
not repete the file name, along with several other improvements.
Haden

On 1/10/2010 8:17 PM, Alex Hall wrote:
Hi all,
This is sort of programming-related, and I figured that someone on
here would know over anyone else. I just installed windows 7 64 bit.
Jaws now reports that all my Windows Explorer windows, such as when
browsing files or floders, are "extended select lists" instead of the
"listview" that I have been used to since win98. Is there a way to
force Windows to use a listview for this GUI control, or can I trick
Jaws into thinking that it is a listview? I mainly want this back
because (A) it is less for jaws to say when a folder opens before it
reads me the first item, and (B) I miss being able to press
ins-ctrl-number to hear the detail associated with the number pressed.
I thought that, if I was going to be stuck with a multi-select listbox
I could use Jaws's multi-select mode to select multiple items more
easily, but that does not even work, so it seems pointless to keep it
this way if I can change it. I realize I can use right/left arrows to
move through details, but jaws usually repeats the filename before
speaking the highlighted detail, which gets on my nerves after a bit.
Any help/suggestions would be great, and sorry if this is considered
off topic.