Re: Windows 7 explorer

  • From: Haden Pike <haden.pike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 20:29:39 -0500

If you're running jaws 10, you will have problems like this know matter what. Using the left/right arrows in windows explorer with jaws 11 does not repete the file name, along with several other improvements.

Haden

On 1/10/2010 8:17 PM, Alex Hall wrote:
Hi all,
This is sort of programming-related, and I figured that someone on
here would know over anyone else. I just installed windows 7 64 bit.
Jaws now reports that all my Windows Explorer windows, such as when
browsing files or floders, are "extended select lists" instead of the
"listview" that I have been used to since win98. Is there a way to
force Windows to use a listview for this GUI control, or can I trick
Jaws into thinking that it is a listview? I mainly want this back
because (A) it is less for jaws to say when a folder opens before it
reads me the first item, and (B) I miss being able to press
ins-ctrl-number to hear the detail associated with the number pressed.
I thought that, if I was going to be stuck with a multi-select listbox
I could use Jaws's multi-select mode to select multiple items more
easily, but that does not even work, so it seems pointless to keep it
this way if I can change it. I realize I can use right/left arrows to
move through details, but jaws usually repeats the filename before
speaking the highlighted detail, which gets on my nerves after a bit.
Any help/suggestions would be great, and sorry if this is considered
off topic.