RE: [UACCESS-L] Accessible Android E-Mail and Barcode Reader Available

  • From: "Sina Bahram" <sbahram@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 12:50:31 -0400

To play devil's advocate.

Let's go back to 1989.

Hey Ken, says three year old Sina, I hope that stupid ADA law doesn't pass ...
The building down the street is installing a
wheelchair ramp, and I know they're going to stop or reassess what they're
doing if that annoying ADA law gets passed.

Just sayin ...

Take care,
Sina

Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 15:39:27 -0400
From: Steve Jacobs <steve.jacobs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Uaccess-L <uaccess-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact: Steve Jacobs
Phone: (614) 777-0660
E-Mail: steve.jacobs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Accessible Android E-Mail and Barcode Reader Available

Open Source, Android Applications Released in Support of Raising the Floor,
Reducing the Cost, and Leveling the Playing Field for
Individuals with Disabilities

HILLIARD, OH July 6, 2010 - IDEAL Group Apps4Android, Inc. announced today the
release of the first Android e-mail reader for the
blind. The IDEAL K9 E-MailR reader is accessible using Google's Talkback and
other Android screenreaders. Also announced was the
release of IDEAL Item IdentifierR, an Android-based barcode reader. The barcode
reader makes it possible to quickly, easily, and
accurately identify products by using Android smartphones to read barcodes on
standard products. Both applications have been
open-sourced in support of the Raising the Floor Initiative.
http://raisingthefloor.net/

According to Steve Jacobs the President of IDEAL Group, "Given the efforts
Google has put into Android, especially the work of their
Eyes-Free Project team, we are convinced that Google is committed to making
Android a world-class fully accessible platform and we
want to help Google get there faster."

IDEAL is also developing an open source Android web browser for the blind. In
addition, IDEAL is developing an open source video
magnification application that enables individuals with low vision to turn
their Android smartphones into hand-held video
magnifiers.

Given the high cost of dedicated devices that serve these purposes today,
Jacobs hopes these free, high-quality open source Android
applications will be Raising the Floor of opportunities for individuals with
print disabilities.

Jacobs further stated, "While we plan to develop accessible applications for
other platforms in the future, we love the openness of
Android. It makes it easy for developers to figure out how programs function
and has enabled us to innovate much more rapidly and
easily than on any other platform."

About IDEAL Group Apps4Android:

Apps4Android, Inc. is dedicated to developing low/no-cost, high-quality,
Android applications that enhance the quality-of-life,
independence, quality of education, and employability of individuals with
disabilities... and everyone else! Apps4Android is the
world's largest developer of speech-enabled Android applications in the world
with 750,000+ active users in 47 countries. For more
information:
http://apps4android.org/

About Raising the Floor (RtF):

Raising the Floor is an international consortium of organizations and
individuals focused on ensuring that people experiencing
disabilities, literacy problems, or the effects of aging are able to access and
use all of the information, resources, services, and
communities available on or through the Web. Of particular concern are those
with limited or no resources. For more information:
http://raisingthefloor.net/about

###

This work is supported in part with funds from the National Institute on
Disability and Rehabilitation Research, U.S. Department of
Education, grant number H133E080022 to the University of Wisconsin Trace R&D
Center. Users of IDEAL K9 E-MailR and IDEAL Item
IdentifierR should not assume endorsement by either the Department of Education
or the federal government.