Re: Starting with Python

  • From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 07:49:47 -0700

Hi Rich,

Stay with version 2.7 of Python for now as there are many more libraries
available and most of the introductory level  books are based on version 2.x
Python.

I learned a great deal from "Dive into Python" and I would call it an
intermediate level book as it assumes you already know how to write
programs.  I think, the C and C++ languages are a great basis for learning
Python.

I encourage you to first work your way through the tutorial that comes in
the on-line documentation using the command mode.  That will take a few
hours or a few days depending on your interest and enthusiasm.  The tutorial
will give you a good feel for the language without a large time investment.

At that point, if you think your skills are up to it, you can try the
on-line "Dive into Python" book.  But the title says it all, you really dive
in.  That was one of the first Python books I read and I still refer to it
today, but it is tough going at times.

BookShare has several excellent Python books to choose from like "learning
Python 3rd Edition" by Mark Lutz.

And Q recently recommended "learn Python the Hard Way"
<snip ...>
LPTHW is a fantastic book by a guy named Zed Shaw giving a good overview
to the Python programming language. He makes it freely-available in PDF
from www.learnpythonthehardway.org. Recognizing that PDF isn't the best
in terms of accessibility, I built the book from its ReStructured text
sources to pure html to provide easy access to anyone interested.
This is available at http://www.qwitter-client.net/lpthw

<... snip>

Richard