Re: Starting with Python

  • From: Jared Wright <wright.jaredm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 20:48:12 -0400

I would suggest running Python 2.7 initially. Only run 3.X at this point if you have a specific reason for doing so. The free "Learning Python the Hard Way" textbook I think is well suited to blind developers because of its bare bones, text editor driven approach to instruction. I also think it would be well aimed at you, someone who has some programming knowledge already but just needs to learn the language. This book is not so great for teaching broader programming concepts, but for you that wouldn't be as great an impediment.

http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/
On 8/27/2011 5:55 PM, Rich De Steno wrote:
I want to begin learning Python. I did some programming years ago in C. I got this tutorial called "Diving into Python" but it is dated 2004 and I do not know how valid it still is. I also read that there are versions 2 and 3 of Python now. Any suggestions?