RE: SQL Server 2008 R2 ManagerStudio

  • From: "Rodney Haynie" <rhaynie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 11:38:14 -0400

Well I guess I can best describe my work as being focused on application
development, more than database administration.

I do not use command line at all with SQL Server.

The SSMS GUI is pretty good, and manageable with JAWS. I cannot make much
use of the execution plans, since they are mostly graphical. But I can
easily create databases, tables, users, and manage access rights all from
within SSMS.
Most of my time is consumed in stored procedure and script development. And
when I have to write long sprocs, I tend to do most of the work in Ultra
Edit, and copy/paste into SSMS. This is purely because I have been using
UltraEdit for so long.

Now with those two sentences off of my fingertips, I will say a contrasting
statement. I do like the auto completion of TSQL from within SSMS very much.
I am finally starting to use it, because I received a new box recently and
UltraEdit license had to be purchased. So I was not using UE for a month or
so. So I was forced into the SSMS interface for writing code, and to my
surprise it worked very well, and saved on a bunch of typos on field names
and table names.

This old dog still needs to learn some more tricks because I am still
finding myself jumping back and forth between UE and SSMS.

So, I am sorry I cannot comment at all on the command line client.

-Rodney