Re: New Visual Studio Development Computer and 64 bit architecture problem?

  • From: Jared Wright <wright.jaredm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 12:28:41 -0500

You can install 32-bit versions of Windows on 64-bit processors, including the dual core processors. Such is the case with both my desktop and notebook. Neither Window Eyes or Jaws will install on a 64-bit version of Windows, but a 32-bit version of Windows, and subsequently the screen reader, will run just fine on a 64-bit processor. I don't know if any other applications can utilize 64-bit processing if Windows itself is not a 64-bit edition, or if any of the benefits of a 64-bit processor are still available when running a 32-bit version of Windows. I imagine not, but I don't know for sure. But so long as the OS is 32-bit, the screen readers will install successfully, regardless of the processor. I am hoping that Window Eyes implements 64-bit support soon though. 64-bit editions of Windows are still, in my experience, a bit of a rarity, because many applications still do not run on the 64-bit flavors of Windows.

Jared

Richard Thomas wrote:
Hi Gang:
Getting a new DeskTop computer. WE won't run 64 bit, don't know about JAWS. Would like a little power like 2 gig memory at least and a fairly fast processor etc...
I'll be running Windows XP Pro, Visual Studio Pro and later VS 2008.
Any recommendations on either a newer computer model or an Intel Processor you have used with JAWS or WindowEyes?
What about the
Intel® Core™2 Duo Processors.
One of the computers used an Intel with Intel® Extended Memory 64 Technology which mentioned something about 32 bit and 64 bit but what have you actually worked with? One fellow at GW just said WindowEyes won't run on a 64 bit machine but that doesn't tell me what it will run on. Everything with any power seems to have 32 and 64 bit mentioned so I thought I'd better check around before plopping down the greenbacks!
Thanks for any help:
Rick Farmington Mich. USA
Rick Farmington Mich. USA.