Re: Language of Choice for Network-aware Applications

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 08:07:19 -0500

Hi Don,
I recommend Python for what you want to do. I think you would make the quickest progress with its dynamic features and library support, an almost complete list of which is at
http://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aaction=index

I think Eclipse is accessible. That is not the same thing as highly usable and productive, however. Oppinion seems to vary significantly among screen reader users on that point. Many beginners have expressed an interest in JAWS scripts to improve the usability of Eclipse, but so far no one has taken up the project, as far as I know.

Of course I am biased about this, but if you choose to program in Python, I think EdSharp
http://EmpowermentZone.com/edsetup.exe

will be the most productive editor as a JAWS user. It has many features for managing indentation efficiently with speech -- a necessity with Python.

Just my two cents.
Jamal

On 3/2/2010 2:40 PM, Donald Marang wrote:

I am considering embarking on developing a network and media aware
Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA)application. I hope to be able to
use one of the available DLNA SDK packages, perhaps open source, to do
the heavy work. Most of these SDK's are evolved from an open source
project from Intel. I would be starting out with a simple interface to
implement what is called a DMC, Digital Media Controller in DLNA
terminology. It allows someone to select media from a DLNA server, which
can be on local computers or directed to serve up Internet content, and
tell it where you want to play the media. The rendering devices include
Computers (especially Windows 7), PS3, XBox, Internet connected Stereos,
Home Theaters, TVs, DVRs, and so on. There is software to to do this and
much more, like Eyecon.com, which runs on several platforms including
the iPhone, iPod Touch or Android! That would be a great controller, but
I would need to get the present I gave my wife back. Not going to happen!
Which language would you experts suggest for this type of application?
The Eyecon software uses Java and Python, I can not remember which was
used for the graphical controller. There are SDKs for many languages,
including C++, Java, Python, and C.
I played around a bit with Visual Studio Express C#. It certainly seemed
betterr than Visual Basic. I like what I have heard about Eclipse so
far. Is it accessible with JAWS? Can it handle these languages? Can it
support cross platform development? I do not know why that is so
important for a personal project and I do not have a variety of
platforms. I guess it is engraved in my sole, since I promoted that
during my whole career.
Don Marang