Language of Choice for Network-aware Applications

  • From: "Donald Marang" <donald.marang@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 14:40:45 -0500

I am considering embarking on developing a network and media aware Digital
Living Network Alliance (DLNA)application.  I hope to be able to use one of the
available DLNA SDK packages, perhaps open source, to do the heavy work.  Most
of these SDK's are evolved from an open source project from Intel.  I would be
starting out with a simple interface to implement what is called a DMC, Digital
Media Controller in DLNA terminology.  It allows someone to select media from a
DLNA server, which can be on local computers or directed to serve up Internet
content, and tell it where you want to play the media.  The rendering devices
include Computers (especially Windows 7), PS3, XBox, Internet connected
Stereos, Home Theaters, TVs, DVRs, and so on.  There is software to to do this
and much more, like Eyecon.com, which runs on several platforms including the
iPhone, iPod Touch or Android!  That would be a great controller, but I would
need to get the present I gave my wife back.  Not going to happen!

Which language would you experts suggest for this type of application?   The
Eyecon software uses Java and Python, I can not remember which was used for the
graphical controller.  There are SDKs for many languages, including C++, Java,
Python, and C.

I played around a bit with Visual Studio Express C#.  It certainly seemed
betterr than Visual Basic.  I like what I have heard about Eclipse so far.  Is
it accessible with JAWS?  Can it handle these languages?  Can it support cross
platform development?  I do not know why that is so important for a personal
project and I do not have a variety of platforms.  I guess it is engraved in my
sole, since I promoted that during my whole career.

Don Marang