Re: Free TTS engines

  • From: "tribble" <lauraeaves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 17:35:06 -0500

Hi -- I bought several of the ATT natural voices along with text aloud a
while back.  They indeed do sound more human than Eloquence, but speeding
them up makes them choppy, and so for screen reading I very much prefer the
more robotic synths.
Still, sending sound files to people or posting on a website for the general
visitor (not just blind persons who prefer listening at break neck speeds),
the ATT voices are nice. They also have synths for a variety of languages,
and text aloud lets you edit escape sequences in the text to switch to
different voices, or change rate / volume on the fly within the same
document.
Thought I'd pass it along... Happy listening.
--le