RE: Eclipse Accessibility

  • From: "Macarty, Jay {PBSG}" <Jay.Macarty@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 15:22:11 -0600

There are ports of SWT for multiple platforms but SWT is an add-on to the
standard java runtime environment (JRE); so, you have to make sure you take
that into consideration when developing your applications. Also, the basic
framework for coding a program with an SWT interface is different than coding
the same style interface using swing. So, the choice to use swing or SWT should
be made at the beginning of a project as it is often a difficult process to
switch once an interface has been coded a certain way. I am a technical lead
for a largely java based development team and use Eclipse on a daily basis with
JAWS. I didn't do anything in particular to adjust JAWS for working with
eclipse. On the version I have, under help, there is an option called Key
assist. Selecting this option shows you a list of all the available keystrokes.
You can activate the desired action by picking from the list but you can also
use this list to find out what the keystroke shortcuts are.