Re: Cross platform speech API

  • From: Andreas Stefik <stefika@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:51:33 -0600

We have our own open source solution to do this on the Sappy/Sodbeans
projects. Currently it supports:

1. Mac with basic Voice Over compatibility
2. Windows XP 32, Vista and 7, 32 and 64
3. JAWS compatibility
4. NVDA compatibility

And I just hired another developer to add Vinux and Ubuntu support,
and to massively revamp the documentation, next semester, which should
make it much easier to get up and running with it. You can access
basic TTS from either Java, C++, or as a NetBeans platform module. The
only real catch right now is that our documentation for that part of
the project kind of stinks --- but --- it works.

If you want more information, please feel free to take a gander at the
Sappy and Sodbeans projects on sourceforge. Sappy contains the Mac and
Windows implementations of the TTS engine. Sodbeans includes those
implementations into a NetBeans platform application, routing the
tools through Java, C++, and Objective C.

Yaa, let me tell you, writing cross-platform TTS apps can be quite an
ordeal! It's open source, so even if you don't use it directly, it
might help,

Stefik