RE: Computer science textbooks

  • From: "Sina Bahram" <sbahram@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 03:03:55 -0400

I don't think that theory, per say, as much as a strong understanding of the
fundamentals allows you to get very far in programming.
The thing with theory is that it essentially lets you condense all of those
fundamentals down into one phrasing, and so any
programming language or computer instructional technique becomes a simple task
of translating what you know about theory into
practice.

So, I'd say, on the practical side of things, you might have to learn three,
four, maybe five programming languages before it all
just clicks together for you, whereas with theory, you can learn it once, and
then apply it to three, four, five programming
languages in a more full way from day one.

Both are completely valid approaches.

Take care,
Sina