RE: Calculating a Kilobyte

  • From: "Sina Bahram" <sbahram@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 18:51:32 -0400

Prove it

Take care,
Sina

-----Original Message-----
From: programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Octavian Rasnita
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 5:26 PM
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Calculating a Kilobyte

What you and Sina said is pretty wrong. I have a hard disk of 79999631360
bytes.
It doesn't begin with "8", but it was advertised as an 80 GB hard disk.

If it would be like you and Sina said, it should have some more with around
300 KB.

And if would be like you and Sina said, all the hard disks that advertise
that have 80 GB, should have exactly the same number of bytes (if they don't

have bad sectors which might not be counted), but it is not the case.

Each manufacturer makes his hard disk as good as he can, and nobody cares
about a few hundread kilobytes or actually tens of megabytes.
And this is because they are too powerful. It wouldn't be ok if they would
say that a kilobyte has 1000 bytes, because it is not true.

If it would be ok, you could found that you bought an ounce of gold which is

evaluated to 10 grams instead of more than 28, just because that was the
evaluation of the seller.

Octavian