Re: C# Environments Other Than MS - Success?

  • From: "inthaneelf" <inthaneelf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 12:28:52 -0700

for the main part for me Jim, its the organization and automation of the visual studios IDE that's the advantage.

most of the functions that one would perform, and many of the things that one would create are as automated as possible.

if I need a form, instead of starting a file that creates a form, I simply go to a menu, click an option, select the form I want and its there the same for any properties of a form or control I want, I hit one key, arrow down through the list, and all the properties are there, I just alter the one I need.

it as well eliminates the need to do the "repetitive work" if you have four text boxes on a form and 3 buttons, I just use a set of three keystrokes to place one of each on the form, then copy and paste the other 3 text boxes and two buttons on, zap and I'm done, add an event, NP, three clicks and its done and properly named... without any problem, I just write in what I want the object to do within the provided framework.

add in the intelesense auto input of items when your typing out your code and a lot of the tedious work is eliminated or speeded up

the big advantage to EdSharp, is its versatility, I can write a note, or a web page, or whatever I want in it, but even with all Jamal's great work on it, I can't create a visual basic form in EdSharp as fast or as efficiently as I can in the VB IDE's.

an example, a simple little "dice roller" I made for myself for my dungeons and dragons games on Saturdays, the code is below, how long would it take you to type it out in ed sharp, it took me about an hour, but most of that was figuring out how I wanted it laid out, the code took me about 15 minutes.

*start code:
VERSION 5.00

Begin VB.Form frmRollerMain

  Caption         =   "Quicky Dice Roller"

  ClientHeight    =   3195

  ClientLeft      =   60

  ClientTop       =   345

  ClientWidth     =   4680

  LinkTopic       =   "Form1"

  ScaleHeight     =   13.313

  ScaleMode       =   4  'Character

  ScaleWidth      =   39

  StartUpPosition =   3  'Windows Default

  Begin VB.Frame fraSelect

     Caption         =   "&Select Die"

     Height          =   495

     Left            =   120

     TabIndex        =   0

     Top             =   360

     Width           =   1215

     Begin VB.OptionButton rdoD100

        Caption         =   "D&100"

        Height          =   495

        Left            =   0

        TabIndex        =   7

        Top             =   4320

        Width           =   1215

     End

     Begin VB.OptionButton rdoD20

        Caption         =   "D&20"

        Height          =   495

        Left            =   0

        TabIndex        =   6

        Top             =   3600

        Width           =   1215

     End

     Begin VB.OptionButton rdoD12

        Caption         =   "D&12"

        Height          =   495

        Left            =   0

        TabIndex        =   5

        Top             =   2880

        Width           =   1215

     End

     Begin VB.OptionButton rdoD10

        Caption         =   "D&10"

        Height          =   495

        Left            =   0

        TabIndex        =   4

        Top             =   2160

        Width           =   1215

     End

     Begin VB.OptionButton rdoD8

        Caption         =   "D&8"

        Height          =   495

        Left            =   0

        TabIndex        =   3

        Top             =   1440

        Width           =   1215

     End

     Begin VB.OptionButton rdoD6

        Caption         =   "D&6"

        Height          =   495

        Left            =   0

        TabIndex        =   2

        Top             =   720

        Width           =   1215

     End

     Begin VB.OptionButton rdoD4

        Caption         =   "D&4"

        Height          =   495

        Left            =   0

        TabIndex        =   1

        Top             =   0

        Value           =   -1  'True

        Width           =   1215

     End

  End

  Begin VB.TextBox txtResults

     Height          =   495

     Left            =   1800

     Locked          =   -1  'True

     TabIndex        =   9

     Top             =   4440

     Width           =   1215

  End

  Begin VB.CommandButton cmdRoll

     Caption         =   "&Roll Them Bones"

     Height          =   495

     Left            =   240

     TabIndex        =   8

     Top             =   2880

     Width           =   1215

  End

  Begin VB.Label lblResults

     Alignment       =   2  'Center

     Caption         =   "Results"

     Height          =   495

     Left            =   1800

     TabIndex        =   10

     Top             =   3840

     Width           =   1215

  End

End

Attribute VB_Name = "frmRollerMain"

Attribute VB_GlobalNameSpace = False

Attribute VB_Creatable = False

Attribute VB_PredeclaredId = True

Attribute VB_Exposed = False

Option Explicit

Private Declare Function sndPlaySound Lib "winmm.dll" Alias "sndPlaySoundA" (ByVal lpszSoundName As String, ByVal uFlags As Long) As Long

Const SND_ASYNC = &H1 'ASYNC allows us to play waves with the ability to interrupt

Const SND_NODEFAULT = &H2 'NODEFAULT causes no sound to be played if the wav can't be found

Const SND_NOSTOP = &H10 'NOSTOP ensures that we don't stop another wave from playing

Const SND_MEMORY = &H4      'MEMORY plays a wave file stored in memory

Private Sub cmdRoll_Click()

Dim MaxNum As Integer

Dim MinNum As Integer

Dim NumSet As Integer

Dim NumberRolled

MinNum = 0

MaxNum = 0

NumSet = 0

NumberRolled = 0

If rdoD4.Value = True Then

NumSet = 4

ElseIf rdoD6.Value = True Then

NumSet = 6

ElseIf rdoD8.Value = True Then

NumSet = 8

ElseIf rdoD10.Value = True Then

NumSet = 10

ElseIf rdoD12.Value = True Then

NumSet = 12

ElseIf rdoD20.Value = True Then

NumSet = 20

ElseIf rdoD100.Value = True Then

NumSet = 100

End If

Randomize

MaxNum = NumSet

MinNum = 1

NumberRolled = Int((MaxNum - MinNum + 1) * Rnd() + MinNum)

   sndPlaySound App.Path & "\diceroll.wav", SND_ASYNC Or SND_NODEFAULT

txtResults.Text = Str(NumberRolled)

txtResults.SetFocus

End Sub

Private Sub txtResults_DblClick()

cmdRoll_Click

End Sub

Private Sub txtResults_KeyDown(KeyCode As Integer, Shift As Integer)

If KeyCode = 13 Then

KeyCode = 0

cmdRoll_Click

End If

End Sub

* end code:

another note, i didn't "write" a lot of that, the if than else yes

but many lines of that was generated automatically when i made a couple clicks.

and as to accessibility, its good, in most of the express versions from what I have seen/herd, I know I am not having problems with accessibility, just the learning curve for the newer languages, and that's a problem with me, not the IDE's, smile

HTH,
Inthane
. For Blind Programming assistance, Information, Useful Programs, and Links to Jamal Mazrui's Text tutorial packages and Applications, visit me at:
http://grabbag.alacorncomputer.com
. to be able to view a simple programming project in several programming languages, visit the Fruit basket demo site at:

----- Original Message ----- From: <james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx>