Bookshare.org programming content was Re: Windows Programming

  • From: Jennifer Sutton <jsuttondc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 16:41:42 -0700

Hello:

Perhaps there are some on the list who can provide current information about improvements to Bookshare.org's production of O'Reillys.

While employed at Benetech, I heard plenty of complaints about the O'Reilly content from programmers. While the O'Reillys were of high-quality, in terms of text (since they came from very well-formed XML, indeed), the way BSO transformed them left things to be desired when it came to the spacial representation of coding and the transformation of some code examples. Perhaps Python might be an especially good example of code that might result in problems when transformed. I hope those issues have been resolved by now. I certainly documented them almost a year ago.

Maybe there are not many languages where spaces matter, but when they matter, I gather that they really do.

Perhaps more and better O'Reillys are being posted now, or there are plans to reprocess the others on the site; I don't know; I am not a subscriber to Bookshare.org.

Jennifer

At 03:39 PM 4/3/2008, you wrote:
Almost all bookshare books on programming are of high quality. Anything from O'Rially will be good quality since they provide the books streight from there manuscripts there not scanned in.
Jennifer Sutton wrote:
Hi:

Yes, certainly, Bookshare.org has such books that would go over Windows programming concepts.

But given that this person will be new to the world of Windows programming, and given that Bookshare.org's books are inconsistent in terms of how they're scanned and produced, especially when it comes to representations of code, it might be especially helpful if those familiar with these books would offer some of the cleanest examples from this source of which you're aware.

Best,
Jennifer