A History of Variables

  • From: Andreas Stefik <stefika@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 15:04:31 -0500

Hello folks,

My student and I are working on part of our auditory debugger (in Sodbeans)
related to its ability to "go backwards." Essentially, our debugger allows
you to see (or hear) any value of any variable that has previously been set
in the program. We have a number of ideas about how we can structure the
audio portion of the debugger, but we're curious, if such a feature were
available to you, how would you like it to work. As such, we pose the
following question:

Suppose your debugger could execute in reverse and return, in audio, the
value of any variable that has ever been set in your program. Using only the
keyboard, how would you like to access such information?

While much of the backend is now implemented, we haven't implemented the
user interface yet, so any ideas, no matter how wacky, are very welcome.

Stefik