[program-l] Re: accessibility

  • From: Roger Woolgrove <rawoolgrove@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2017 23:04:01 +0100

Juan,

I got this message a bit late but essentially Mike has it covered and he gives good advice.
The only thing I may add is that if a document is inaccessible for whatever reason there are some good packages which can scan in a document and determine quite accurately what is written. This is helpful with illegible pdf documents and the like. A scanner does not have to be used with pdf files and so forth as they can usually be opened from within the software.
Omni page is one such piece but I have no recent experience.
Kurtzweil 1000 is a good piece of kit and the one I use even though mine is very dated now, it still gives good results.
There are some freebie OCR packages out there and I'm sure there are many opinions on them also.

Roger

On 07/09/2017 20:40, Walker, Michael E wrote:

You are welcome. What I recommend is that even though you are coming up with these policies to make apps, documents, and presentations accessible for your company, you will want to use your newly acquired knowledge from the standards I recommended in my last email to know if an app or information produced by it like a document is accessible. The only true way to know if an app, site, or document is accessible is to try using it. If it is not, you can reference the part of the accessibility standards that are relevant for making it accessible. Also keep in mind that if it is a big app, the company may not be able to afford to make the app itself accessible, but may consider that when and if it is time to redesign that app. In some cases, you may need to make due with features of your screen reader like graphics and custom labels, to help improve the app's accessibility, or some basic scripting to access those essential parts of the app or site. Also, when you run into a situation where the app cannot be accessible, consider finding out if information from the inaccessible app can be exported to a more accessible Word document, HTML, or PDF. Finally, do not underestimate the power of asking for help. There will be times when it is so much faster to narrow down what you need, and have a co-worker look at the screen with you. That may save you hours of trying to find workarounds to do something basic, like get a video to play. Pressing alt+print screen to take a screenshot is one way to do this, if you do not have time to meet with the co-worker. That screen shot is copied to your clipboard, and you can paste it into an email. I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Mike