[program-l] Re: Windows7 And VM Questions

  • From: "Travis Roth" <travis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 08:15:53 -0500

And just to add to this it depends on the virtualization software.

If it's a server virtualization such as VMware Server then remote desktop is
the best.

If you are using a local vm and don't want to mess with remote desktop that
is doable too by installing a screen reader on the vm. However, the
virtualization software needs to provide a sound card, and a decent one.

I have found VMware Workstation 7 satisfactory for this. Microsoft VirtualPC
not so much, speech was very choppy.

VirtualBox is another and its free, but when I tried it about a year ago the
interface was inaccessible so there was no way to set up or turn on a vm.

Lastly you can even redirect the sound card over remote desktop and not run
JAWS in the client/server model. This makes for choppy seech, but it is the
necessary way to use NVDA over remote desktop at this time. (If someone
knows different which would help NVDA not be so laggy and choppy please let
me know!)