[program-l] Re: Windows7 And VM Questions

  • From: Rodney Haynie <RodneyH@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 06:23:05 -0700

Ok, so this is what I know, and how I access and log into my office desktop
computer when I am working from my home. Nick has some good comments, but I can
only speak on how I use it.

I get a secured VPN connection. This is necessary so I can ping the desktop and
see that it is visible.
I start a Remote Desktop session with the office desktop computer from my
laptop computer. (My laptop is Windows XP, Desktop is Windows 7.)
I type the username and password into the Remote Desktop dialog, that way it
will automatically sign into my desktop computer, and I won't have a
non-talking login window in front of me.
Once the connection is made, and I am logged in (I give it a minute). I press
Insert + F4 to shutdown JAWS on the desktop. Then I start JAWS by pressing
Windows + R, the typing JAWS 12 and pressing enter. All of this is without
verbal feedback. JAWS will come up and the name of the JAWS window will
indicate it is running in remote mode.
If you only use the remote computer remotely, then the odds are that JAWS is
already running in remote mode, and you won't have to stop it and re-start it
like I do.
After this, the session works very well, and I can do work much like I am
sitting in front of the desktop at the office.

You need to run the remote desktop window in full-screen mode in order for your
hotkeys to be interpreted by the remote computer. I believe the keystroke to
toggle the full-screen status of the remote desktop session is Ctrl+Alt+Break.
When you use this, you can switch between working on your local computer and
working on your remote computer, because the remote computer window will be
treated just like an application running on the computer, and you can alt tab
to other applications on your local box. Then press the keystroke combination
again, when the remote desktop application has focus, and you will be working
only on the remote computer once again.

When you are all done working on the remote computer, you can use the
Disconnect option (located in the same areas as sleep, and shutdown - Windows
Key, Right Arrow, Right Arrow, D), and you will return back to your Windows XP
computer.

HTH.
-R