[program-l] Re: SQL Integration Services and accesibility

  • From: "Bill Dennis" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "billiam904@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 14:29:12 -0400

Rick,

I turn 50 in less than two months. In 2011-12, right after companies laid off
the older I.T. managers/staff and kept the younger, less experienced people
(and cheaper) on board, interviews were tough for me because, in most cases,
the person interviewing me was about 25 years old and either saw me an old an
guy or a threat because I had been in the business longer than they’d been
alive.

One of the reasons I shifted gears from software development to databases in
mid-2010 after my government contract ran out was because of the massive
outsourcing that took place and the instability of software development jobs in
the U.S.

In the role I’ve had for the past 5 years, I’ve been a necessary evil because
the company I work for services mostly government-run water companies such as
San Francisco Public Water Commission and it is illegal to send live data
outside of the U.S. So, while my boss has tried many times to circumvent this
requirement by first cutting my hours way back in 2012 and hiring an
experienced student who after 11 months hadn’t been able to do any of the work
and most recently, trying to get someone in Bolivia to log into a computer at
my boss’ home in the U.S. then to log into our server from that computer in an
attempt to hide the fact that the server and the live data are accessible to
someone outside the U.S., I have been, at minimum, able to keep the job but
have had five different cuts in hours over 5 years. So, after having my hours
cut in half for the past four months, I finally decided to test the waters
again and was pleasantly surprised at the outcome.

This time, I found older managers who identified with me in technology and in
life and that led to every single one of my interviews being positive and
uplifting compared to the abuse I took from the brats in 2011-12.

I have an old friend who I met when I was a DJ in the radio industry in 1984
who got me into the computer business back then. He is convinced that we are
about to see a major stock market crash. So, we may yet see the youngsters
back in the interviews in a few years but for now, I’m not going to worry about
it and enjoy the new job.

Bill