[program-l] Re: Real-world coding examples?

  • From: Parham Doustdar <parham90@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 09:42:41 +0430

Hi,

I have done web-development and have looked for jobs in web development for most of that time. The most accessible option you have are languages that are not in the family of .net languages. I personally prefer PHP for its simplicity (keep in mind that you have to learn a framework after you learn PHP), and I hear Ruby and Ruby On Rails (which is a Ruby framework) are nice too. You could also doweb development with Java and its J2E framework, Python (I forgot the name of the framework for that one) and Perl. Out of all of these, I personally would go for PHP (its syntax and most concepts is very, very similar to C++), but since you've used Python, you could also go for that. If you do decide to go for PHP, I recommend the YII framework or the CodeIgniter framework. Both are nice, but YII offers more features.

On 5/18/2011 2:18 AM, Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
Hello all:
While I have 3 months or so off, I wanted to learn as much as I could during that time. I know I'm fairly good with c++, and my skills are so-so in python, but I want to start working out of the domain of mud development. I'm pretty good at figureing things out and adding new features and the like, but I really highly doubt I'm going to make my living as a mud developer.

So, I have a couple of questions. I want to get into web development more, c#, and more. What is most used? What kinds of problems/programs are people being hired to work on? I know that's a rather broad question, I'm just trying to find some sort of starting point that I can keep learning more, so I'm not totally clueless.