[program-l] Re: Real-world coding examples?

  • From: "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 13:54:24 -0600

David:
Thanks for the information. I used vs2008 express for quite some time, and i've actually done some work with it, though a lot of my development has been on Linux. I think the only thing that doesn't work great for me with 2008 right now is debugging; a friend can just hover over variables to see what their contents are, and moving through code and stepping into functions and viewing assembler is a lot easier. This may not be something you are familiar with if you mainly work with web development, but I figure you have to debug at one point or another; how do you handle some of this?
Thanks again for the information.
On 5/18/2011 1:47 PM, David Lant wrote:
Hi,

I'm afraid I have to disagree completely regarding the approximate
inaccessibility of .NET for web development.

firstly, as JAWS and other screen readers are in the early days of
supporting Visual Studio 2010, I would recommend that during the learning
process, Tyler sticks with Visual Studio 2008 until the JAWS bugs are ironed
out.

I use Visual Studio 2008 for my professional web development, and I've not
had any issues at all.  Now, you're probably going to say, but that costs
money.  No, it doesn't.  There's the free Visual Studio Web Developer
Express.  For hosting, Microsoft have now released IIS Express, so you can
download and install a free version of IIS.  Naturally it won't have all the
enterprise features of the full product, but you don't need all that when
you're starting out.  Alternatively, if you have windows 7, you have IIS 7.5
available anyway, so just go into the Programs manager and add IIS from the
Windows components.

I've builtASP.NET web applications, web services an Windows Communication
Foundation services without any problems.

I would recommend getting familiar with ASP.NET 2.0 and 4.0, as those are
going to be the most frequently asked for.  What language you use is
entirely up to you.  You could use Python.NET, PURL.NET and a host of others
if you really want.  But if you're using Web Developer Express, then C# and
VB are the ones available.

I also recommend looking at windows Communication Foundation (WCF), and the
new REST model introduced in .NET 3.5 and extended in .NET 4.0.  for that
you would either need to hand code in a text editor of your choice and use
the command line compilers, or obtain a cheap licensed copy of Visual
Studio, as I don't think you can build WCF applications with the Express
editions.  The advantage of WCF is that you don't need a web server at all,
as you can write your own host in very little code as a console app, Windows
forms/WPF app or even a Windows service if you want.  You can of course use
IIS to host it too though.

It will also be worth looking at ASP.NET MVC, AJAX and Silverlight.

You don't have to use Visual Studio at all to build ASP.NET, or indeed any
.NET application.  You just need the free compilers and other SDK utilities,
and a text editor you're happy with.  There are plenty of blogs and articles
out on the web giving examples of building web sites without Visual Studio.

Most of my web work recently has been in building web services for
interoperability.  So getting familiar with SOAP, REST, MTOM streaming and
all kinds of standards and protocols will stand you in good stead,
regardless of which platform you choose to use.

All the best,

David

David Lant
Applications analyst

MCPD Enterprise Application Development 3.5
MCTS ASP.NET 3.5, ADO.NET 3.5, Windows Communication Foundation 3.5, Windows
Applications 3.5