[program-l] Re: Real-world coding examples?

  • From: "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 23:35:02 -0600

I'm curious what's up with asp.net? Only thing I can think of is lack of hosting--having a host where I can play with things is expensive. Linux is free, so it costs less, I doubt I"ll have a virtual server to play with because I have to pay for a license for windows. Anyway, python's got django and flask, I need to get better with django, and learn a lot more about wsgi. I will take a look at the frameworks you've suggested for PHP; all of the work I've done I just wrote from scratch. IT's doable obviously, but it kind of kills any hopes of rapid development.

On 5/17/2011 11:12 PM, Parham Doustdar wrote:
Hi,

I have done web-development and have looked for jobs in web development for most of that time. The most accessible option you have are languages that are not in the family of .net languages. I personally prefer PHP for its simplicity (keep in mind that you have to learn a framework after you learn PHP), and I hear Ruby and Ruby On Rails (which is a Ruby framework) are nice too. You could also doweb development with Java and its J2E framework, Python (I forgot the name of the framework for that one) and Perl. Out of all of these, I personally would go for PHP (its syntax and most concepts is very, very similar to C++), but since you've used Python, you could also go for that. If you do decide to go for PHP, I recommend the YII framework or the CodeIgniter framework. Both are nice, but YII offers more features.

On 5/18/2011 2:18 AM, Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
Hello all:
While I have 3 months or so off, I wanted to learn as much as I could during that time. I know I'm fairly good with c++, and my skills are so-so in python, but I want to start working out of the domain of mud development. I'm pretty good at figureing things out and adding new features and the like, but I really highly doubt I'm going to make my living as a mud developer.

So, I have a couple of questions. I want to get into web development more, c#, and more. What is most used? What kinds of problems/programs are people being hired to work on? I know that's a rather broad question, I'm just trying to find some sort of starting point that I can keep learning more, so I'm not totally clueless.

Take care,
Ty
my website:
http://tds-solutions.net
my blog:
http://tds-solutions.net/blog
skype: st8amnd127
“Programmers are in a race with the Universe to create bigger and better
idiot-proof programs, while the Universe is trying to create bigger and better
idiots.  So far the Universe is winning.”
“If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves upon
execution.”