[program-l] Re: Python: Making Code Run Faster

  • From: "Homme, James" <james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 19:48:02 +0000

Hi,
If you haven't already learned to program, in my slightly educated opinion, you
could go to http://www.empowermentzone.com/pyth_doc.zip. In that big file there
is a book called something like Python Programming For The Absolute Beginner.
That's not the exact name of the book, but, I think if you learn the first,
something like 10 chapters, you will have a pretty good foundation for the
language. There's also a web book called Learn Python The Hard Way, from
http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/. That resource also assumes that you
don't know how to program, but it takes a different approach than the first
book. It also goes a little further than just learning language features. A
third resource, Dive Into Python, assumes that you know how to program, but
tells you how to do lots of things Python can do. You can see this resource at
http://www.diveintopython.net/.

We've talked about several text editors you can use to develop your Python
scripts on this list. Some of us use EdSharp from
http://empowermentzone.com/edsetup.exe. I believe the developers of NVDA, the
open source screen reader that is primarily written in Python, use
NotePadPlusPlus. I'm currently trying the new trial of NoteTab Pro, and, along
with some JAWS scripting and configuration, am having some success. As long as
your screen reader can be configured to tell you how much a line of text is
indented, you should be OK. Python uses indentation to control its logic.

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed, I think I may be starting to catch on a
bit.

Jim