[program-l] Re: JAWS: How Can I Retrieve the MSAA Info Available from Home Row Plus F9 Using a Script?

  • From: gerald.g.weichbrodt@xxxxxx
  • To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:27:37 -0400

OK, folks, as so often happens, I suddenly had the lightbulb go on.  It
seems the files being "used" (or at least some of them) have sources as
well that JAWS installs.  They weren't concealed after all.  Is it Friday
yet? I think Jimmy's not the only one who didn't get enough sleep.  He's
probably staying up half the night making up for his hockey deprivation.

Cheers,
Jerry

                      Gerald G

                      Weichbrodt               To:
program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                               cc:

                      09/22/2005 11:17         Subject:  JAWS: How Can I
Retrieve the MSAA Info Available from Home Row Plus F9 Using
                      AM                        a Script?

Hi all,
I'm using JAWS 6.2.  I have an application I use a fair amount.  It's sort
of a not-very-sophisticated integrated development system, and the
information about your programming project is displayed in a treeview
control.  Using JAWS's default scripts, if I cursor up and down the tree, I
find that information is truncated if the line of text is too long to show
in the control.  However, if I hit JAWSKey+SpaceBar and turn on "home row"
mode, I find that the "Name" value I can get from MSAA is exactly what I
want, the full text of the line despite only part of it showing on screen.
Put another way, if I go into home row mode, hit the F10 key to cycle to
"Name", and then press F9, JAWS reports out the full text from the current
treeview item.  Now, I'd like to modify the script that reads stuff from
tree views so that it reads the current line via the MSAA instead of just
picking up what's on the screen.  The obvious answer is to grab the code
that the "Home Row" scripts use, and build a slightly customized
SayTreeviewLevel script that gets the line via MSAA.  The trouble seems to
be that the script to read that MSAA info is included in a binary file that
JAWS is "use-ing".  So, does anybody know how I might get that name that
the home row scripts are reporting out? I'm not asking for anybody to
disclose trade secrets.  I just thought maybe I was missing a clue to how
to get that value.  It would really be convenient if I could hear whole
lines in that tree view.  I think the text expands visually if you hover
your mouse over the lines, so sighted users can read the full text without
trouble.

Thanks,
Jerry