[program-l] Re: Indentation of code

  • From: Richard Bartholomew <richard_bartholomew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 07:58:21 +0100

I find indentation extremely useful when reviewing code with a Braille
display provided, of course, you have confidence in the source! Obviously,
it doesn't dilute the need for focussing on the code itself but can, I
find, be of value when obtaining an overview of a code segment.

Richard Bartholomew
Senior Technician
ISOS Enterprise Middleware
Standard Life Employee Services Limited
http://www.standardlife.com

Tel:    +44 (0)131 245 1667

Soronel Haetir <soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: program-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
20/05/2010 03:18
Please respond to
program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[program-l] Re: Indentation of code

It's not as useful as when I could see but I find that it still
provides useful information about code layout (so long as proper
indentation is maintained, but that is true regardless of being
sighted or not).

Note that I don't know Braille, I could see that making a difference
due to the limitations of such devices.

On 5/19/10, Amanda Lacy <lacy925@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am I the only one who thinks indentation makes code harder to read? I
> focus on the information itself, and when much of my braille display
> is consumed by space I find it a destraction. I have yet to understand
> its use.
>
> On 5/19/10, Doug Lee <dgl@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> For what it's worth, I strongly prefer using tabs and not spaces:  Tab
>> width can be varied by the user with no changes to the code, using
>> tabs means one character per indent instead of the average three or
>> four spaces, tabs can be displayed as printable characters like ^I in
>> some editors in case checking indents is a problem for some reason,
>> and one can translate tabs to the normal two spaces before Brailling a
>> listing if necessary.  As a rule, if I see spaces for indenting in a
>> program, I imitate what's there if I'm making small changes, but I
>> replace them all with tabs if I'm taking over the file.
>>
>> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 02:35:45PM -0600, Tyler Littlefield wrote:
>> I had to switch the tabs to spaces in python, so that I could read
>> other code. No idea why edsharp defaults to tabs, and whether you'll
>> be aloud to use spaces, you have to use \40 I believe to get a space.
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "?yvind Lode"
>> <oyvind.lode@xxxxxxxx>

It

http://www.dlee.org
>> SSB BART Group           doug.lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> http://www.ssbbartgroup.com
>> The very smart may feel they have nothing to learn from anyone;
>> The very wise will find something to learn from everyone.  (7/14/01)
>> ** program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> ** and in the Subject line type
>> ** unsubscribe
>> ** immediately-following link:-
>> ** [mailto:program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]
>> ** or send a message, to
>> ** program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq

> ** [mailto:program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe]
> ** program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> ** and in the Subject line type
> ** unsubscribe
> ** immediately-following link:-
> ** [mailto:program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]
> ** or send a message, to
> ** program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx

This e-mail is confidential and, if you are not the intended recipient,
please return it to us and do not retain or disclose it. We filter and
monitor e-mails in order to protect our system and the integrity,
confidentiality and availability of e-mails. We cannot guarantee that
e-mails are risk free and are not responsible for any related damage or
unauthorised alteration of e-mails by third parties after sending.

For more information on Standard Life group, visit our website
http://www.standardlife.com/

Standard Life plc (SC286832), Standard Life Assurance Limited* (SC286833)
and Standard Life Employee Services Limited (SC271355) are all registered
in Scotland at Standard Life House, 30 Lothian Road, Edinburgh EH1 2DH.
*Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. 0131 225
2552. Calls may be recorded/monitored. Standard Life group includes
Standard Life plc and its subsidiaries.

Please consider the environment. Think - before you print.