[program-l] Re: IBM Lotus Symphony Far Better Than Open/Libre Office

  • From: Kerneels Roos <kerneels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 10:01:25 +0200

Yes Andy and James, I can remember that at least on Ubuntu Linux, Libre Office + Orca worked really well apart from stability issues now and then - especially with Base which I think was not very stable yet at that time.

However, on WinXP 32 bit I have had great success with Open Office, with most if not all of the quirks encountered on Linux also showing up, but on Win7 there are so many additional problems that it is not a viable option.

So something has gone wrong from WinXP to Win7 and from the old JAB to the version that Oracle released for 32 and 64 bit JREs.

As a side note, does anyone know if the JAB keeps working after allowing the Oracle Auto Upater to update Java? I'm always saying NO because I don't want to go through all the effort of installing the JAB again :-)

Cheers
On 2012/10/10 05:57 PM, Andy B. wrote:
This is an interesting topic because in linux, some swing apps work just
fine, others don't even load, and others work wonders. It seems that Libre
Office works wonders in linux, but is barely usable, and fragile at best in
Windows. Does anyone know why this might be the case?