[program-l] Re: GUI Interface to SQLite application advice?

  • From: Lloyd Rasmussen <lras@xxxxxxx>
  • To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:16:56 -0400

I think you should talk with Jamal Mazrui about this a little more before you dive into really deep waters. His home e-mail address is empower@xxxxxxxxx but he might not catch all his e-mail because the CSUN conference is under way this week. I know that he developed a package for access to databases, including MS Access, called DbDialog. Look around the
  www.nonvisualdevelopment.org
website, and perhaps download the DbDialog executable from the page at
  http://testsite.blind-planet.com/node/17
. I can't be of much more help than this, but don't want people to miss resources which might be useful.

At 09:20 PM 3/16/2009, you wrote:
It looks to me like SQLite might be a suitable database solution for me as an alternative to MS-Access since I can't seem to get the hang of that interface.

I was thinking then that to form the application into a familiar Windows programme that maybe Python with WX Widgets might be appropriate?

I am however confused about what all I need.

I read that SQLite can be had, if I understand it correctly, embedded into Python. I thought I understood that there is also a WXPython and of course that all three can be had as separate installations.

I want to keep all this installing and configuration as simple as possible. I do realize I will need a decent text editor as well, probably something like EdSharp.

So, after all that, can someone tell me what I need to begin pecking away at setting up Windows style input screens to SQLite in this way and is it a reasonable approach?

Thanks.

Dale Leavens.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535   <http://www.loc.gov/nls>
HOME:  <http://lras.home.sprynet.com>
The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of NLS.