[program-l] Re: Ethicly correct or incorrect

  • From: QuentinC <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 18:37:23 +0100

Hello,

I'm not american and I'm not in the US, so it might be different for you because of culture, but here's my own experience and the one of a friend.

Generally, I would say that, the later you can tell them about your blindness, the better it is.

For me, the latest moment is often when the company give me an appointment to meet them physically at their office.
Since their office is in a city or place I almost don't know at all, I'm anyway obliged to ask them to pick me up in a nearby bus or metro station, or in front of their building if I plan to come with a taxi.

That's a good occasion to talk about blindness, that you need a little help to come to them, and at the same time it's a good test to see if they are really ready to accept a blind person.
I say it's a good test because, afterall, picking someone up at the front of their building isn't, or shouldn't be a big deal normally.

If, at that time, they say you no or invent excuses to not do it such as "it's complicated", "nobody can't/is supposed to do that", "we don't have time", or even "we'll call you back to organize that" (and often never call back of course), then we can probably assume that the company won't anyway take the required efforts to make a good workplace for you. Too bad. It's useless to go further. Forget about them and move on.

I stress on coming alone to the meeting using public transportation or taxi, rather than being accompagned by a friend or a family member.
As an employer, coming with a friend might be misinterpreted as "he/she can't work on his/her own", and of course it isn't a very good argument to hire you.

I stress also on telling them at least a few days before the meeting.
I know a friend who decided to don't tell them at all. He came into the company's building by his own means, completely alone. I'm totally unable to do this myself, but well, some people are adventurous and confident enough to do it.
So nobody knew he was blind until he came there with his white cane. Excellent demonstration of being able to manage everything by yourself, but all people were shocked and totally caught off their guards. More than that, they felt that they had been fooled, and he looked like a kind of lier.
He was told "this isn't a place for blind people here, good bye", and that was it.

Thank you for reading.
With the hope that my little story was helpful.

** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:-
** [mailto:program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe]
** If this link doesn't work then send a message to:
** program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
** and in the Subject line type
** unsubscribe
** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the
** immediately-following link:-
** [mailto:program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]
** or send a message, to
** program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq