[procps] Re: shared memory in 'free'

  • From: Adrian Brzezinski <adrb@xxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 22:55:34 +0200

> Hello everyone.
>
> I'd like to know your opinion about the attached modification
> of the 'free' tool I made few minutes ago.

Hello,

First I have to say, that it is'nt a good feeling when you see someone
else signature on own work.

Please consider this:

https://gitorious.org/procps/procps/merge_requests/17

I also send this patch to "original" procps project, but I realized that
is dead, and try to merge it here.

> Since the MemShared entry (available in 2.4 kernels only)
> has been removed, we always display 0 in the 'shared' column.
>
> My colleague Rodrigo Freire came with an idea to reuse that
> column for showing the Shmem value instead.
>
> As the MemShared/Shmem entry presence is mutually exclusive,
> I think the easiest is to reuse the kb_main_shared variable
> for storing the value of both. That would work for all kernel
> combinations and without changes in the library interface.

I must admit that it's a great idea ;)

> Do we increase the soname version even when the API stays
> compatible?

If you ask me, then I would told you that version change should occur
when new features are implemented.

This is a bugfix, not feature.

--
Adrian BrzeziDski