[procps] Re: merging

  • From: Craig Small <csmall-procps@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 08:53:14 +1000

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 04:56:24PM +0200, Karel Zak wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 10:00:41AM -0400, Jaromir Capik wrote:
> Well, in Fedora we generate 7 subpackages from u-l -- but it's
> downstream (distro) specific business...
To me it would make sense to have 7 different sub-projects. You're
basically re-running 6 of them every time one of them changes for
absolutely no reason. Which then go to the auto-builders etc.

> > Do we need to merge the whole project because of some common parts?
> Yep, to save time and effort. Both projects are about small basic Linux
> utils, why we need to maintain such things on two places?
Using that argument then emacs and vim should merge because they're both
editors, which noone is suggesting. There are some cross-overs of
course; one example is lscpu which is more "procps-y" but is found in
util-linux (it's fine to be there now, no point changing things)  or
renice/snice crossover but most of them are separate.

I still don't see any real benefit except its a more visible project,
but larger projects are more daunting for new people to join too.

 - Craig
--
Craig Small VK2XLZ   http://enc.com.au/          csmall at : enc.com.au
Debian GNU/Linux     http://www.debian.org/      csmall at : debian.org