[procps] Re: important extension to newlib

  • From: Jim Warner <james.warner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Craig Small <csmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 07:04:00 -0500

On 8/12/21 6:48 AM, Craig Small wrote:

Should it warn a user if you specify a thread? It's like no -H is select thread but -H selects the process of the thread.

Hi Craig,

You're probably right, let me ponder a small revision.

Actually, I expected you to question the appropriateness of the AGID field when -p selecting a sibling thread. It will show the correct autogroup but the others (including the thread group leader) show -1.

Then, if one selects the group leader via -p, the AGID will be correct and all the siblings will show -1.

I was prepared to label this a feature, not a bug. It's a way of telling which AGIDs came from the 'task' subdirectory and which came from the base /proc/ directory.

And we must remember that to -p1 select a sibling we're dealing with a PID that we technically shouldn't know about. They are not visible with a simple 'ls /proc/'.

Thanks for the push,

Regards,

Jim