[procps] important extension to newlib

  • From: Jim Warner <james.warner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Procps-ng Mail list <procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 14:52:35 -0500

On 8/9/21 7:13 AM, Craig Small wrote:

It seems the forest is "squashed" or not indented when you specify the thread.

It's not a recent thing, top 3.3.17 has it too. I'm not sure if it is a bug or just an unexpected (to me) result.

Hi Craig,

I had noticed that phenomenon too and was (almost) prepared to live with it. That is until I began to research an even more disturbing anomaly involving the TGID field.

When you '-p' select a true thread along with the '-H' switch (or later the 'H' command), all tasks incorrectly show the target thread PID as the TGID, not the real thread group leader's PID.

Well, it turns out that this TGID bug is also the cause of those forest anomalies. And it's existed since at least 2011. But the trap was set in 2003 when support for threads was added to ps.

Anyway, attached is the fix, along with another patch.

Regards,

Jim