[procps] Re: future of sysctls?

  • From: Jan Görig <jgorig@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 15:07:54 +0200

Ludwig, is your patch compatible with systemd approach?

   Jan

Dne 23.5.2011 23:49, Karel Zak napsal(a):
On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 07:32:30PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
On Wed, 18.05.11 09:03, Ludwig Nussel (ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx) wrote:

Might be a good idea to just ignore these kinds of settings. Or if this
is not possible, then set them from NM or whatever controls the network.

That's that hack that's currently in place. Network scripts grep
/etc/sysctl.conf for interface specific settings...

Urks. What we could do to make this nicer is add a simple prefix match
logic to our sysctl apply tool, so that it is easy to apply a subtree of
sysctls when the time comes.

I've sent a patch to the procps maintainer but he has yet to
respond. It's not a real solution anyways. It just makes a dirty
hack a little more efficient.

Note that systemd does not use the procps' implementation of sysctl, but
our own one since the upstream version does not support /etc/sysctl.d/
or anything like this.

  procps project has been forked, ML:

     //www.freelists.org/list/procps

  The upstream is active and maintained by people from Fedora, Suse
  and Debian.  So, it would be better to contribute to this project
  than maintain and distribute systemd specific stuff... :-)

     Karel