[procps] Re: future of sysctls?

  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 15:30:58 +0200

Jan Görig wrote:
> Ludwig, is your patch compatible with systemd approach?

systemd has

r = conf_files_list(&files, ".conf",
                    "/run/sysctl.d",
                    "/etc/sysctl.d",
                    "/usr/local/lib/sysctl.d",
                    "/usr/lib/sysctl.d",
                    "/lib/sysctl.d",
                    NULL);

I've used the same list except for /run/sysctl.d as it doesn't seem
to make sense to keep a temporary config file in memory (/run is tmpfs).
sysctl can read from stdin and currently active settings are stored
in the kernel already after all. There is no legacy to take care of
though (except for /etc/sysctl.conf and /etc/sysctl.d) so I'd assuem
that the list and ordering is up for discussion. Using *.d in */lib
is kind of unusual for example.

cu
Ludwig

--