[Precisionix-General] Package Manager

  • From: Andrew Sorensen <aos@xxxxxxx>
  • To: precisionix-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:44:43 -0700

While people are deciding about names and our target audience, id like
to discuss package managers too, so far I thought we should use dpkg +
apt, since it seems to be friendlier to use.
Here is a list of choices we could do...
RPM (we would need our own front end thing however, eg yum zypper...)
Dpkg (allready got frontends for, and is advanced)
other packagermanagers including:
pacman (from arch linux)
portage (from gentoo)
and maybe our own package manager (note that this would take a long time
to make)

I'm thinking we should use dpkg + a frontend of our own, that would help
with updates and upgrading versions of software. and use synaptic for
advanced users, and something like gnome-app-install for newbs to
install stuff.

what do you suggest?