[phpa] Re: A testimony you can use if you want!

  • From: Nick Lindridge <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: phpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 17:10:45 +0000

> Hey Nick,
>
> I know it is not the topic here, but I am not using mod_gzip for now. Any
> hint on where to start with it ?
> You seem to be very experimented with it: any hint or suggestions ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ronan

Hi,  click on the mod_gzip logo at the bottom of one of my site pages
and it should take you to the mod_gzip site. I installed a prebuilt
lib, and used a 'safe configuration' from their contributed
configurations. I then just set it to keep working files so that I
could be sure that it was doing something, and checked the content size
of requests in the apache log to determine the savings. Works very well.
Someone on the list recently sent me their apache error log uncompressed
of about 200k, but because of mod_gzip, it
downloaded from squirrelmail as about a 15K file. For my home access over
a 64K isdn it's helpful, and should be reducing bandwidth usage and which has
recently been increasing thanks to the increasing publicity that phpa
is getting :-)

nick