[phpa] Re: mod_gzip

  • From: "Lukas Smith" <smith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <phpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 18:16:42 +0100

The thing to keep in mind with mod_gzip is that it has a couple of
advantages and disadvantage:

Advantages:
1. it reduces your traffic
2. it will most likely reduce the loading time for the user

Disadvantages:
1. it will out more load on your server since it has to do
2. it will put more load on the users machine while they unzip

Basically in most cases the advantages seem to outweight the
disadvantages, as long as non image data composes a significant part of
your traffic.

You will have to see if your server has problems with the added load
(also remember that it may go up even more because you might have more
happy users since the pages load faster :-) ) but most users machines
should not really have any problems with the unzipping.

Best regards,
Lukas Smith
smith@xxxxxxxxx
 DybNet Internet Solutions GbR