[photodesk] Re: 3.08 - More problems

  • From: Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 12:43:28 +0100

In article <69f4db4d4f.Bernard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bernard Veasey
<bernard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

> TwainPDIF scanning module ------------------------- I had to stop
> the TwainPDIF module from loading by doing a:
> |IF "<TWAIN$Path>"<>"" THEN RMLoad <Photodesk$Dir>.Modules.TwainPDIF
> to stop my Iyonix PC crashing within 5 minutes of ordinary use -
> without even using Photodesk for scanning.

I think I must have got this bit of information by seeing an email you
sent to c.s.a. Anyway I have implemented this.

[snip many many aggravating problems]

> Long Filenames with Photodesk ----------------------------- o

I try not to use very long filenames with RISC OS programs - as they
have caused me some grief in the past.

I always ensure is that the directory holding the images to be
processed and saved is as near to the program as possible.

Putting both of these things into practice has made no difference to
the problems with 3.08.

I do hope that the programmer - Niklaus Weiss can spend time in making
the program more stable - there are a lot of frustrating problems with
3.08. I would willingly hand over some more cash if 3.08 became as
reliable as its predecessor.

Despite its slow selection speed on the Iyonix 3.06 was incredibly
stable in comparison.

I do hope we are not going to see a repeat of the Vantage fiasco -
mind you that potentially excellent software was never right from the
first day it was released - I remember spending months learning all
the awful "workarounds" I was forced to implement to get a half decent
graphic. Then I discovered the excellent and reliable - ArtWorks. I
have never looked back.

Best regards

Richard