[photodesk] 3.08 - More problems

  • From: Bernard Veasey <bernard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 07:12:49 GMT

Further to Richard's Photodesk 3.08 problems, I thought I would
mention the problems I am having with this version - which I have
already reported to CJE.

I purchased Photodesk 3.08 from CJE at the Guildford Show.

TwainPDIF scanning module
-------------------------
I had to stop the TwainPDIF module from loading by doing a:
|IF "<TWAIN$Path>"<>"" THEN RMLoad <Photodesk$Dir>.Modules.TwainPDIF
to stop my Iyonix PC crashing within 5 minutes of ordinary use
- without even using Photodesk for scanning.

Resize Image Crashing
---------------------
After cropping and then reducing in size lots of JPEG photos,
Photodesk 3.08 sometimes produces the error:

Internal error: undefined instruction at &0003EA60

followed by it disappearing from the icon bar after clicking
'resize' in the 'Resize image' window, of which I had set
'maintain current aspect ratio' and entered the height as 450 pixels.

After the above error I have to reset the computer.

Photodesk Clipboard Problem
---------------------------
After the above problem for instance - This of course corrupted the
Photodesk clipboard contents.
On reloading Photodesk, I would say OK to retrieve the abandoned
image but it was all noise, so then trying to delete that duff
image from the clipboard caused Photodesk to crash all over again.
I had to delete the Photodesk Scrap directory to allow Photodesk
to load properly again.

Using Application Memory with Photodesk 3.08
I tried setting
Set PhotoDesk$DynamicAreaSize 0
in the !Photodesk.!Run file so that it would use application memory
instead of the dynamic areas, in place of the 256 setting but
Photodesk refused to load and the computer completely froze with this
setting, even if the Photodesk clipboard was completely empty
beforehand.  I had to press RESET to get out of it.  The Photodesk
image cache is set to 120000K.
'Set PhotoDesk$DynamicAreaSize 0' worked fine in the previous 3.06
version of Photodesk.

Long Filenames with Photodesk
-----------------------------
o  Place a JPEG named 'RedCarpetFileNameIsTooLongForPhotodesk'
   into a folder named ADFS::HardDisc4.$.Pictures
o  Drag it to the Photodesk clipboard window.
o  Select it and press F3 to open the save window.
o  Don't change the filename.
o  Drag the save icon to ADFS::HardDisc4.$

You should then get the error I am experiencing.

<Photodesk$Resources>.Formats.!3JPEG.cjpeg: can't open
ADFS::HardDisc4.$.RedCarpetFileNameIsTctures.RedCarpetFileNameIsTooLongForPhotod

esk

You will notice that the loaded pathname is getting muddled up and
combined with the saved pathname.

You will also notice that if the attached file is loaded into
Photodesk from 'ADFS::HardDisc.$' instead, the error doesn't occur
but the file instead of saving over the original file, a further
file is created with a wrongly extended filename.

Using:
-----
Iyonix PC with RISC OS 5.13 and 512MB of memory
Photodesk 3.08
TwainPDIF 0.11 (not loaded as it causes crashes and lock-ups)

--
Contact Me - http://www.bapfish.org.uk/contactme/
Web - http://www.bapfish.org.uk/