Re: [PCWorks] Regsvr32 - what is it?

  • From: "Harold B." <haroldbraun@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:06:13 -0400

I always find interesting how very knowledgeable people in news forums like
PCWorks overestimate the level of knowledge of many asking questions. You
say I answered the question myself. I don't even know what I am talking
about :-)

Of course I know how Run is used to access areas of my computer but what the
regsvr32 is actually doing, and what it is doing vis-à-vis .dll files, I
don't know. I know nothing about "regsvr32" except what I see in a search
... one  is found in C:\Windows\1386, two are found in C:\Windows\Prefetch
(I often see that "prefetch" and I don't know what that is either), and one
is found in C:\Windows\System32.

Other than the command Clint gave me, "regsvr32
c:\windows\system32\wups2.dll" I never used regsvr32 before. It just caught
my interest making me forget about "Service Pack 3" - spending too much time
in internet nonsense, I ought to spend more time in learning and not
bothering you with basics. But then it's like driving a car; does one really
have to know all the intricacies going on under the hood? --- Harold