Re: [PCWorks] Need recommendation for a router

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 04:53:24 -0600

The DLink "N" had some rather negative user reviews on it.  In
fact, (like I mentioned in my last post), all of the wireless
routers have a good many negative reviews all due to the
wireless problem (dropped connections, interference, etc.).  I
don't know about the wired portion of it (it's both wired and
wireless if that's the same "N" version I looked at) and how
good it may be because all the reviews on it I saw were those
using it as wireless.

My router (Motorola BR700) was going bad, it had one port die,
then another, leaving only two ports.  So I started looking for
a new one and I did a good bit of research on them.  Being
frustrated all the neg reviews for even the wired routers, I
had a DLink DI-704 that I previously used, and a Trendnet
TW100-S4W1CA and two others in my "stock" and thought I would
just try them first.  The Trendnet was actually SLOW, a
drastically marked decrease in speed.  I couldn't find the
DI-704, so I tried another one by a now defunct company
(Inexq), it was faster, same as my BR700 and has been more
reliable with the connection.

Look at all the USER reviews you can for every router out
there, and take those into consideration along with any reviews
a website may give.  You have to remember that frequently a
site that reviews something was given the product by the
manufacturer and they are many times reluctant to say anything
negative about it.  Also some of the user reviews may be
"manufacturer plants", so I always look at the negative reviews
first.
-Clint

God Bless,
Clint Hamilton, Owner